Are you a geek or have you been called a geek or a nerd? I decided several years back to embrace the Geek within and accept my inner geekiness. But what is a Geek, really?? Well I looked up the definition.
Geek (noun) \ˈgēk\
1. : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
2. : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked
3. : an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity geek
- I am not a carnival performer, and I have never bit the head off of a chicken or snake, but I did have a snake wrapped around my neck once.
- In school I always made really good grades, not too sure why, school was just easy. Most people didn’t like me much, but I thought it was because I was always the new kid in school.
- I am an enthusiast in many types of things and activities: Star Trek, Star Wars, Reading, Halloween, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, et cetera.
So I qualify for all three! I have always liked things that most people do not, and have usually become enthusiastic about them, but if you look at that last definition in general… Everyone has some level of Geek inside of them!
How geeky are you?
So I was tweaking this blog post to get better SEO (isn’t that kind of geeky?) and found this cool online test. I scored 23.43173% which is somewhere in between Geek and Total Geek.
Find out your score, take the test: Geek Test: the original test from innergeek
The Urban Dictionary definition
Lastly, I really like the Urban Dictionary’s definition:
The people you pick on in high school and wind up working for as an adult!
Embrace your inner geek and become the boss!